Monday, May 14, 2012

Music History Discovery: Printable Music History Timeline


In prepping for group lessons this week, I stumbled upon this excellent music history resource available on the Lancaster Symphony Orchestra's website.
 
The timeline has a brief summary of each era of music history with information on the characteristics of each era, information on the role of the conductor, and a handy list of famous composers from each period. Along the bottom is a running world history timeline to provide some context. I'm really excited about using this in my group lessons (more on that in a later post)!
 
The site also has some great handouts on the instrument families, activity pages, as well as some music notation worksheets. It looks to be a great resource! I love it when I stumble upon a great resource like this completely by accident! It makes my day. :)
I'm interested if any other teachers have found some great music history resources on the web. Please comment if you have any to share!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I just came across your blog while searching for a printable music history timeline for my group lessons. The timeline you refer to looks perfect, but the Lancaster Symphony site seems to have changed, and I can't find the printables. Have you come across any others? Thanks for your terrific blog, looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Julie,

      Sorry for my delay in response. I actually emailed the Lancaster Symphony orchestra to find out what was up, and they emailed me back to let me know that they are in the process of launching a new website and simply haven't gotten all their pages back up and running yet. The printables WILL be available again sometime in the coming weeks, so I'd encourage you to keep checking! :)

      In the meantime...
      this page has composer timelines- scroll down and you'll see several options.

      http://www.classical.net/music/composer/timelines.php

      Hope this helps!

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Thanks a bunch! I didn't think to email the Lancaster Symphony myself. I will keep checking back. I'm very appreciative of the resources you have compiled and it is inspiring to browse through your printables. It's easy to feel somewhat isolated as a piano teacher, but having just discovered the world of piano studio blogs opens a new door :)Thanks again!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Julie :) I know exactly what you're feeling...I had a similar epiphany when I discovered the online music community myself! It's SUCH a great resource!

      Delete
  3. The timeline is back on the Lancaster Symphony site... found through site search for "timeline" and then through the Classroom Resources link. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH for the update. I just edited my post so that the link to take people to the timeline is correct. I really appreciate you letting me know. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Sarah :)! What a wonderful site! I'm program director this year for our chapter of the MTNA and plan to share with them what an excellent resource you provide. I found you as the teacher above who was looking for a timeline. The link you provided is PERFECT! I'm excited to have come across your site. I have a private studio of mostly violin with some piano students and teach at the Jansen Art Center. Again, thank you so much!
    Warmly, Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Emily. I am so glad this resource is helpful to you!
      Sarah

      Delete